Nine Mile Run
This 11.89 acre tract is comprised of two parcels on the north side of Route 3, on either side of Nine Mile Run. It is across Route 3 from the McLaws Wedge property. The first acquisition was 5.39 acres, closing in 1999. The second acquisition occurred when a house on an adjacent parcel burned and the owner decided to move rather than rebuild. This second purchase was for 6.5 acres, closing in 2002. Through a grant from the Sunshine Lady Foundation, the CVBT subsequently removed all evidence of the burned house and restored the grade. The site is rapidly revegetating.
This preserved ground is the low ground west of the ridge occupied by the Confederate army at the end of the fighting on May 1, 1863, during the Chancellorsville campaign. During the next day, while Major General “Stonewall” Jackson marched a force around the Union front to attack the Federal right flank, General Robert E. Lee kept pressure on the Federals in this area to distract them from Jackson’s risky maneuver. Late in the afternoon, Jackson’s troops attacked out of the woods, three and one-half miles to the west, and pressed hard toward Chancellorsville on May 3rd. There were episodic reports of panicked XI Corps soldiers fleeing all the way through the Federal lines, only to be captured by Confederate units along the Nine Mile Run line. This preserved terrain saw more fighting when Major General Richard H. Anderson launched his Confederates through this area in support of the Southern attacks closing in from the west. Well preserved Union earthworks are still evident on the ground.